Provision

I am learning, in a whole new way, about God's provision for all of our needs. And that I don't need to strive, be anxious, or think ahead to obtain His provision...it's promised and it is available to me. I started to think about this today, after Dave had a friend show up for lunch. After he came, I mentioned to Dave that I would get them some lunch. But I was not sure what I was going to give them. All I knew I had was peanut butter and jelly. I opened up the fridge and my mind was racing with what I could quickly come up with. There on the bottom shelf was a long cold-cut sub that was left over from the wood splitting event we had here on Saturday. Perfect! A few cut up apples and there I had lunch for both of them. As I sat down to eat with my sister, I started to think about how God has provided like this in countless ways. I am usually a big planner and like to think ahead and have everything worked out in my mind before it actually happens. I think I had come to rely on this for provision. I am all for planning, etc. and think it is a huge means of grace, but it's not for me to rely on.

These days, I am not thinking beyond my next 5 minutes, and yet when a need arises I am seeing God's provision. Some examples:

*We have had friends come over for dinner, even when I was not sure what kind of meal was coming or how much...it turns out the meal brought was enough for everyone here.
*I needed to do a little more Christmas shopping, but hadn't even thought through when to go or what to get...a friend shows up to take me out.
*Dave had to go away on a business trip...the Averills were free and came over to stay the night here with me.
*The holiday season has proven to be very difficult for me...my mom offers to use her last bit of vacation time to spend some time with me and help with the girls.
*I have been functioning at about 10% lately and have needed so much help with the girls and the basics of life...Dave has stepped up and seems is doing about 200% of what he usually does and with much less sleep.

On and on I could share of my numerous needs and how God's provision has met me. Often I am not even aware of the need until God's provision has already met it. This is the kind of God I serve and He is mighty and merciful. This provides hope and peace for the future. I can be tempted to think ahead and wonder what I will do about this or that. This can lead me to strive or think about what I need to do. However, I am coming to realize that the Lord already knows those needs and already has provision waiting for when the time of need arrives. I have always "known" these truths, but I think I am coming to believe them in a more real way. My fears and anxieties can be put to rest, provision is at hand.

Matthew 6:8 "...for your Father knows what you need before you ask him."

Philippians 4:19 "And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."

Isaiah 25:4 "For you have been a stronghold to the poor, a stronghold to the needy in his distress, a shelter from the storm and a shade from the heat..."

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP