Example of Charles Simeon

I have been reading through the book, The Roots of Endurance, by John Piper. I love it! It takes a look into the lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon and William Wilberforce. So far I have read through about 2/3 of it, learning much about the lives of the first two men. So far, I have been left inspired and provoked with fresh love for my Savior because of the legacy these men left and lives they lived.

I just finished up reading about Simeon. I was especially provoked by two inseparable themes in his live - humiliation and adoration. Piper writes, "For Simeon, adoration for God grew best in the plowed soil of his own contrition. He had no fear of turning up every sin in his life and looking upon it with great grief and hatred, because he had such a vision of Christ's sufficiency that this would always result in deeper cleansing and adoration."

From reading about this and a few other circumstances in my life lately, the Lord has been revealing to me where the root of change lies (It's truth that I would never had denied, but I was not living in the good of). It's not in my efforts to put off sin, or strategically memorize more scriptures, or "try harder next time," or even in my feelings of guilt that I think will often motivate me. No, true change is found by looking up and beholding my Savior in adoration. It's following the example of Charles Simeon, who looked deeply at his heart, while looking all the more up at his Savior. It was through looking intently at his Savior and the wonderous love found at the Cross that humbled him and brought change.

Here are some words from Simeon himself,

"By constantly meditating on the goodness of God and on our great deliverance from that punishment which our sins have deserved, we are brought to feel our vileness and utter unworthiness; and while we continue in this spirit of self-degradation, everything else will go on easily. We shall find ourselves advancing in our course; we shall feel the presence of God; we shall experience His love; we shall live in the enjoyment of His favor and in the hope of His glory...you often feel that your prayers scarcely reach the ceiling; but, oh, get into this humble spirit by considering how good the Lord is, and how evil you all are, and then prayer will mount on wings of faith to heaven. The sigh, the groan of a broken heart, will soon go through the ceiling up to heaven, aye, into the very bosom of God."

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP