Thanksgiving baking

My sister assigned me desserts this year. I've had fun the past few weeks dreaming of what I was going to make. Two requirements - travel friendly + yummy! Here is what I decided on:

Pumpkin roll
Cranberry white chocolate chunk cookies
2 Apple pies
1 pumpkin pie
hmm...and maybe some salted pecan chocolate pieces (if I have time).

Pumpkin roll was a disaster the first round. Made it a second time and looks yummy. I tripled the cookie recipe and I can't wait to try them. Dave gave the thumbs up! Pies come tomorrow.

Then we'll finish packing up and hit the road around 3:30am Thursday morning. Can I get some sympathy yawns?  You're probably wondering what in the world would compel us to leave then. Well, quiet car + sleeping kids + 4 hours of trip out of way = happy mom! And it's not as bad as driving all night with no sleep. At least we get some! I'm hoping we'll just have to stop once. I know, I'm a hard core mom. Maybe twice if it's not going so good, but then hopefully it will just be a 8 hour trip.

Kel, have a pot of coffee going for us around noon!

Here is the cookie recipe I used/tweaked. I tripled the recipe and got about 6 dozen.


Cranberry White Chocolate Chunk Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 - 3/4 cup real white chocolate, cut into small chunks
1 cup fresh cranberries
chopped Pecans, to desired amount

Preheat oven to 250. Rinse cranberries and place in a glass dish and cook for about 10 minutes to soften up.

Increase oven temperature to 350. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine the flour and baking soda; stir into the sugar mixture. Mix in the white chocolate and cranberries, then pecans. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto cookie sheets or stones.

Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. For best results, take them out while they are still doughy. Allow cookies to cool for 1 minute on the cookie sheets before transferring to wire racks to 
cool completely.


Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP