Adelyn and allergies

It's been quite some time since I updated on our little bitsy girl. Thanks to everyone who has emailed and called, especially after her last appointment, checking in and asking about her. I know I have not been able to respond on all of them, so wanted to post a bit on her.


First, she is doing well! Growing like a weed is an understatement for her. We joke that her rolls have rolls! I'm so grateful that she is healthy and growing.

Her appointment with the allergist went well. Loved the doctor. They could not test her skin because as the nurse got ready to, her whole body broke out in hives. So, there was not a spot to test. After that they sent us off to the lab, which was pretty dramatic for both of us. They had to try in 3 places and literally went digging for a vein. When it was all over, blood was over both of us, and I was a bit shaky...and melted in tears when I walked out.

I got a call about 5 days later to hear that they were not able to test for everything because the lab did not draw enough blood. BUT, we did find out that she is allergic to peanuts. Supposedly she is not to egg, milk, and gluten. They were not able to determine a number of other things such as wheat, tree nuts, soy, etc. The doctor suggested that I slowly introduce some of the things that she tested negative to. So far I've tried egg and she seems to be ok with that. I have tried some gluten foods, but very little as I try to stay away from too much for my sake as well. But she seems to be ok. I have not yet brought back dairy because I'm nervous about that one. I think I'll stay off of it for some time still.

My strict diet seems to have also helped with her poop issues. And some of her skin on her head still has consistently been better. However, other parts of her body are the same or worse. Her skin still continues to break out and sometimes pretty bad, with the oozing blisters. I can tell it really bothers her at times, but she continues to be a happy baby.

We continue to try various things (all the time). Her bath routine changes almost every week as does the things I use on her skin. I recently contacted a naturopathic doctor that I have used for years and she prescribed some herbs for me to take and some herbal ointment to put on Addie's skin. We'll be using that for a few weeks to see if that helps.

I am supposed to go in for more testing this Thursday, but I might chicken out! I have heard that testing can not always be conclusive and sometimes be false positives and negatives. I just hate to put her through that again. We'll see if I end up there or not. My dear sister cleared her schedule and got a sitter without me even knowing, so she could come with me for moral support. It would be nice to know, though, or have an idea of what she tests positive and negative for so I have a better idea of how to guide my diet.

I do have to say that all these issues are so minor. Addie is doing well and I'm so grateful for that. She is an amazing baby and I could not be enjoying her more. How grateful I am for this little gift to our family.



Photobucket

kelly ploon  – (6:26 AM)  

That smile gave me a much needed smile this morning...love her!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP