We may boldly say.

Photobucket

Morning after our first snowfall, December 6

I was just thinking, over the past few days, how much a newborn is a picture of me and the Lord. Little Addie is so dependent on me for everything right now. She can't do anything for herself. I will do everything in my power to meet her every need...even lose much sleep to care for her. How much more the Lord will meet our every need and help in the midst of trial. He has promised to exert His omnipotence to meet above and beyond my every need.

As I'm exhausted in this season and feeling very inadequate and unable to do most things, may I remember these promises. And may, as Spurgeon writes below, my state of dependence not distress me. May I never, through my doubting, think my Maker will fail me. As I watch loved ones around me go from one trial to the next, and feel unable to do anything, may I remember the Lord's promise to be ever near and care for their every need. And may I be like the birds that Spurgeon writes about and know that I had best sit and sing as loudly as I can, boasting in my weakness that God may be glorified through it.

Spurgeon writes,

"The fact that the Lord has constantly been our helper confirms our faith. If in looking back we could find a point where God failed, we might let our faith waiver. I speak from experience. I cannot find one example in all of life in which God was untrue or unkind. If we never doubt God until we have a reason, we will never doubt so long as we live.

Yesterday I looked at some birds in a cage. These poor little creatures are entirely dependent on those who feed them. They cannot help themselves. If seed and water is not supplied, they will die. Yet there they sit and sing with all their might. Their state of dependence never distresses them. They never think that their keeper will fail them.

That is my position. I am God's singing bird. Perhaps I wonder where I shall get my bread or my next sermons, and a great many cares and troubles come to me. But why should I be troubled? Instead of mistrusting my keeper, who has fed me these many years, I had best sit and sing as loudly as I can. That is the best thing to do. The birds do it, so why not you and me? We are supposed to have more intellect than a bird, but at times we do not seem to have half as much.

The Lord has constantly been true. Do not doubt. If some remarkable trial should waylay you between here and heaven, you will find extraordinary deliverance from Him who has been your helper. 'For He Himself has said, "I will never leave your nor forsake you." ' So we may boldly say: 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear.' (Heb. 13:5-6).

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP