Leaning on Jesus

Our time at my dads was wonderful (I hope to post more on that soon). However, since arriving home late Sunday night, my soul has been weary and my body exhausted. In my journal this morning I wrote,

"My heart is heavy this morning. I feel like I am carrying the weight of so much. I know I need to give this all to the Lord, who knows all, cares about it more than I do, can handle all these issues weighing on me and can even strengthen my weary and troubled soul. At times like this there is always a decision to make, "what will I do?" Will I continue to carry this myself, allow myself to be weighed down, lack joy and therefore inevitably be tempted today in multiple areas? OR will I give it to the Lord and because of all He is and can do, allow myself to walk in the joy of my salvation? What a battle this life is. Last night as I lay in bed I was ready to give up. I was feeling hopeless, downcast, angry, weary and exhausted with life's trials. This morning it was hard for me to rise from my bed. But I will turn to my Lord who is my only hope for me and the sin that resides in my heart. He alone can cure the weariness, frustration, and hopelessness I am experiencing."

Then, right after writing this, I read the following quote from Spurgeon. Tears welled in my eyes as I was reminded of my Savior and all He is and can do for me:

God feeds them. Luke 12:24

"The Lord has laid many burdens on me, and I sometimes grow weary. Then the Holy Spirit leads me to understand that I can do nothing by myself. All I have to be is God's obedient servant, His ready instrument, and then I can leave every care with Him. Then peace returns and my thoughts become free and vigorous. My soul throws its burdens aside; runs without weariness and walks without fainting.

I am sure, my dear fellow servant, that life will break you unless you learn the habit of leaning on Jesus. Do not be afraid to lean too much. There has never been a saint blamed for possessing too much faith. There has never been a child of God scolded by the Divine Father for having placed too implicit a reliance on His promise.

The Lord has said, 'As your days, so shall your strength be' (Deut. 33:25). He has promised, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you' (Heb. 13:5). He has told you 'consider the ravens,...which have neither storehouse nor barn; and God feeds them' (Luke 12:24). He has asked, 'Why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?' (Matt. 6:28-30).

Give your cares to Him who cares for the ravens and for flowers of the field. Rest assured that he will also care for you." - Spurgeon

May I lean hard on my Savior today, cast my burdens on Him and trust Him with the cares that threaten to break my soul. May I focus on my Savior's sacrifice for me and all He has accomplished at Calvary, so indeed I can rejoice in my salvation today.

Helen  – (7:20 AM)  

This is excellent, Heather!
love you!

Kelly C  – (8:44 AM)  

one of my very favorite spurgeon quotes... praying for you, friend.
love you,
kel

Jerusha  – (8:59 AM)  

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Cara  – (1:19 PM)  

So encouraged to hear how God met you this morning, Heather. What a great piece by Mr. Spurgeon--I'll be revisiting it.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP