The Lord knows

This weekend has been a whirlwind for me...mostly in my mind. It seems that the past two days has been spent trying to process a bazillion thoughts, decisions, circumstances that have been thrown at me. I'm exhausted mentally (and physically as well). It takes all my energy to think through the very basics of life, so to do or think outside of that can leave me utterly exhausted. I didn't make it through our church service today, but at least we came and stayed a short while. After being home for a few hours afterwards, I went to run a few errands and give my my mind a break. However, I went into a store and immediately saw a display of ducks...Grammy loved ducks - emotional break down. I turned around in the next store to a mom walking a stroller up the aisle with her newborn...my heart sank. How I miss my sweet girl! There are just no words for all that goes on in my heart at those moments. It's hard to explain and a I think few understand and know. The reality of that can leave me feeling very lonely. Then a dear friend sent me the following quote. It deeply ministered to me:

"We have not a high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." Hebrews 4:15.

See Him bearing our sicknesses and our sorrows; more than this, carrying our iniquities and our sins. Think not that your path is a isolated one. The incarnate God has trodden it before you, and He can give you the clear eye of faith to see His footprint in every step. Jesus can say, and He does say to you, "I know your sorrow; I know what that cross is, for I have carried it. You have not a burden that I did not bear, nor a sorrow that I did not feel, nor a pain that I did not endure, nor a path that I did not tread, nor a tear that did not bedew my eye, nor a cloud that did not shade my spirit, before you, and for you. Is it bodily weakness? I once walked forty miles, to carry the living water to a poor sinner at Samaria. Is it the sorrow of bereavement? I wept at the grave of my friend, although I knew that I was about to recall the loved one back again to life. Is it the frailty and the fickleness of human friendship? I stood by and heard my person denied by lips that once spoke kindly to me; lips now renouncing me with an oath that once vowed affection unto death. Is it straitness of circumstance, the galling sense of dependence? I was no stranger to poverty, and was often nourished and sustained by the charity of others. Is it that you are houseless and friendless? So was I. The foxes have their shelter, and the birds their nests; but I, though Lord of all, had nowhere to lay my head; and often day after day passed away, and no soothing accents of friendship fell upon my ear. Is it the burden of sin? Even that I bore in its accumulated and tremendous weight when I hung accursed upon the tree." - Octavius Winslow

DC  – (12:54 PM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
DC  – (1:24 PM)  

Thank God for Octavius Winslow (poor guy, I wanted to give his work away to Spurgeon). Praise Him even more for the book of Hebrews and the Incarnation! A God who became a man and can now in experience and empathy know the pain and the darkness that we encounter in this life (Heb 4:14-16). One benefit of trial is that because he 'shared in our sufferings', we can now, in each of our trials, understand and empathize a little bit more with His sufferings. Holy and 'happy' fellowship! O to know Jesus more!

DC  – (1:54 PM)  

Thanks for posting this, Love. I will be chewing on this quote and praying for you all day long!

megan haughery  – (7:42 PM)  

i read this yesterday and thought of you, my friend... and before i had a chance to send it to you, i see someone already did. i'm so glad you were encouraged by it. praying for you still...

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP