Hearty Fiesta Cassoulet

I've been on the look-out lately for good bean recipes. Often they are not very tasteful. I just came across this recipe on the internet as I was planning this month's meals. I wanted to try to have a bean recipe once a week to save a few pennies. (BTW, I found this website that seems to have a good variety of bean recipes).

This one was a real winner! Everyone loved it and it was incredible easy....one of those, "throw it all in the pot and cook" recipes. I think from start to finish it only took about 20 min. Well, I did soak my beans the night before and cooked them during the day, but other than that, it was simple.

The next time I make it I think I will experiment and add another can of tomatoes or marinara sauce or just plain tomato sauce. I kinda prefer more of a tomato base. Anyway, here it is:

Hearty Fiesta Cassoulet

* 1 pound angel-hair pasta, uncooked
* 2 14 1/2-ounce cans tomatoes, diced
* 2 15 1/2-ounce cans black beans (I used 1 cup dried beans, soaked and cooked)
* 4 1/2 cans water
* 2/3 cup frozen corn
* 9 ounces smoked sausage, thinly sliced
* 2 1/4 teaspoons garlic salt
* 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
* 2 Tablespoons grated Jack cheese (optional)

In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Add 4 1/2 cans of water, using can from diced tomatoes. Stir well. Bring to a low boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

To serve, ladle into soup or chowder bowls. Garnish with grated red pepper and Jack cheese, if desired.

Makes 12 servings.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP