Lemon Bread

For Jerusha and Kelly....

Modesty aside, I really did forget to mention that, yes, I did get a Grand Champion big 'ole purple ribbon for a lemon bread that I made. Mckenna made some cookies and I, last minute threw this together, per my mom's suggestion. So, credit goes to her for the suggestion. I was completely surprised when Jerusha texted me a few days later to tell me it actually won Grand Champion. First, I was in such a hurry when I made it, that I set the oven to the completely wrong temperature. The bread came out looking too brown on the outside and I was convinced probably too dry on the inside. Then I put the glaze on wrong and was trying to fix that right before taking it to the fair. Anyway, for those who are interested, here is the recipe I used:

Lemon Bread

1/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
gated peel of 1 lemon (reserve rest of lemon for glaze)
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and beat until smooth. In small bowl, mix 2/3 cup mlk, grated lemon rind and almond extract. In another bowl, mix flour and baking powder. Alternately add flour mixture and milk mixture to butter-sugar mixture. Pour into greased bread pan and bake for 50- 60 min., until done.

Glaze

Mix 1/3 sugar, juice of 1 lemon and 1 tsp. grated lemon for glaze. It should be fairly thick but thin enough to pour on top of the warm bread when it comes out of the oven. Using a toothpick, I poked holes on top of the bread before pouring so the glaze would soak into the bread.

Enjoy!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP