Coconut-almond power bars

Photobucket

It seems there is a baby boom among my friends for the past few months. So, I thought this recipe might come in handy for anyone looking for some extra calories when nursing.

I needed something that I could grab quickly, was healthy and had a calorie, energy boost. And because I am on a "somewhat" gluten free diet, these fit the bill. I can't remember where I originally got this recipe...I think maybe my sister. I tweeked it slightly and this is what I came up with. I made a bunch of these before Adelyn came and just last week made another batch. I literally have not been doing barely any cooking at all (putting all my frozen dinners to work), so this was the first thing I have made since Addie arrived. That tells you how hooked I am on them!

2 cups almonds (raw)
1/2 cup flax meal (flax seeds ground in a small coffee grinder or blender)
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/2 cup unsalted almond butter, roasted tastes yummy
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
3 Tablespons agave nectar
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate 75%

Place almonds, flax meal, shredded coconut, almond butter and salt in a food processor. Pulse briefly, about 30 seconds.
In a small saucepan, melt coconut oil over very low heat. Remove from stove and stir in agave nectar and vanilla into oil. Add this mixture to the food processor and pulse until ingredients form a coarse paste.
Press mixture into a 8 x 8 glass baking dish and chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour, until mixture hardens.
In a small saucepan, melt chocolate over very low heat, stirring continuously. Spread melted chocolate over bars and return to the refrigerator for 30 minutes, until chocolate hardens.
Remove from the refrigerator and cut into bars. They store very well in the fridge in an airtight container for a number of weeks.

Makes 20 bars, doubles well.

Jessica  – (9:01 PM)  

Sounds great! I'll be making these for sure!

TK  – (12:38 AM)  

hey there! those protein bars look amazing! Where did you find the agave nectar? I made a salmon recipe that called for it and we couldn't find it! Thanks for posting the recipe! I look forward to making it! Your little one is adorable!
Terri Kovlak

Heather  – (9:40 AM)  

I just recently saw agave at Costco for a great price. But you can also find it at Whole Foods for Trader Joes

TK  – (10:29 AM)  

Thank YOU Heather!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP