Christmas

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. The day after that, Christmas. It's hard for me to believe. My thoughts have been in all different directions as I have contemplated Christmas this year. The Christmas season has been extremely different and difficult for us this year...it's been much more simpler and I think I have done about 10% of the things I usually do to celebrate. There was no Christmas chain this year, no marathon of baking tons of goodies, we didn't listen to a multitude of Christmas albums like we usually do, didn't take many pictures at all, didn't go look at lights, and on I could go.

What I did do, was only done with the help of dear friends beside me. Obviously any previous plans I had made for this month were gone, yet, as I look back all the essentials and most important things did get done...and that is all of grace. My sister was with me the day I pulled out some decorations, Michelle sat with me and wrapped about 75% of my gifts, the Ploons went with us to get a tree, my mom helped and put up most of our ornaments, and she helped me with my Christmas cards. Eva came over one night to help me bake mini loaves of cranberry bread (we wanted to give something to our neighbors to thank them). Mckenna helped me tie them up with ribbon to give out. Last night my sister helped deliver some gifts to friends. In the past, December has been much more full of activity...and even some things that are important I just didn't do this year - we didn't make it to the Christmas service at church tonight, I didn't read as many Christmas books to my girls or do as many activities with them.

However, I feel like I have grasped more about my Savior and the meaning of Him becoming man than ever before. And I think my girls have a better understanding of Jesus and heaven than ever before. The other day I was thinking about all my Savior suffered while here on earth. He suffered more than any human ever will, and therefore is able to completely relate to and help all who suffer...simply because He knows. This was a comforting thought as I have felt particularly lonely at times and thinking that there is no one around me who really knows the depths of what is going on in my heart...They can leave and go back to their lives, laugh, and enjoy normalcy, but my life stays the same...there will never be "normal" again. It's painful. Yet, there IS someone who knows, who experienced the depth of grief that I am (and more) and that person is also able to help me, has promised to and is committed to. Why can He do this? Because He was willing to become man, to be born a baby, suffer, and later die for me. So, in 2 days I am celebrating Jesus' birth. Oh, there is much to rejoice in...in the midst of intense sorrow, I will rejoice...I will! All the help, grace, and mercy I am experiencing is because He became man. I will rejoice!


Verses & Quote...

2 Cor. 2:5 - For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too.
Footnote - Or For as the sufferings of Christ abound for us, so also our comfort abounds through Christ

Hebrews 2:18 - For because he himself has suffered when tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted.

"Many in this world live with broken hearts. A broken limb of any kind is bad, bruised and wounded flesh is hard to bear. But when your heart is crushed or broken, or when your spirit trembles, you are depressed and utterly wretched....Those who are taught by God will help the brokenhearted, but human sympathy is soon worn out because of its inability to help. You can set a limb and the bone will grow, but what can you do with a broken or crushed heart?....Happy is it for them that 'the LORD is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit.' (Ps 34:18)." Spurgeon

Jessica  – (11:43 AM)  

Praying for you and your family! May He overwhelm you with His love tomorrow.

Lola  – (12:58 PM)  

Thank you so much for the Christmas card.

I am (there's no other word for it) proud of you, Heather....I realize that it is God that supplies the grace, but you are availing yourself of His support by your exertions, especially the ones that no one sees. Your hands are open to what grace He has to fill them, be it a moment's rest or to comfort a daughter or to be around others when you'd prefer solitude. May His relentless grace comfort you in wondrous ways.
Love you and lifting you to His throne,
Carmencita

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP