Southwestern Salad

I made this over the weekend and it was a hit. It was light and refreshing, perfect for these hot days. I had made chicken soup for a friend who was sick last week, and just saved some of the shredded cooked chicken to throw in the salad. It worked well and saved me from cooking chicken again. I also added some fresh cucumbers and tomatoes to garnish the sides.



Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Salad

* 1/4 cup snipped cilantro
* 1/4 cup olive oil or salad oil
* 2 Tablespoons lime juice
* 2 Tablespoons orange juice
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1/8 teaspoon salt
* 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1 Tablespoon olive oil or cooking oil
* 3 cups torn Romaine lettuce or mixed greens
* 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 2 large oranges, peeled and sectioned
* 2 slices red onion, halved and separated into rings

For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine cilantro, olive or salad oil, lime juice, orange juice, garlic, and salt. Cover and shake well. Chill until serving time. Shake well before using.

Cut chicken into thin, bite-sized strips. In a large skillet cook chili powder, cumin, salt, and red pepper in hot oil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Add chicken strips and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned and no longer pink.

In a salad bowl combine chicken, Romaine or mixed greens, black beans, orange sections, and sliced red onion. Cover and chill salad up to 2 hours. (I actually did not add the lettuce, but instead placed some on each plate and then piled on the rest. That way I could store the salad for leftovers, without the lettuce getting soggy).

To serve, pour the dressing over the salad. Toss lightly to coat.

Aunt Linda  – (6:59 AM)  

Hi Heather,
Wow, I finally figured out how to establish an account for myself. I tried to respond to Kelly's blog, but lost it somehow. I'll bet you didn't get my last comment, because I sent my comment without establishing an account. Now I just have to remember my password and the word identification they gave me. I enjoyed your blog today and of course, the pictures of Mckenna's haircut and of your trip to visit Dad and Patti. What a great vacation! Also, if it's okay with you, I'm going to add your Southwestern Salad to a cookbook I've been putting together (for years I might add...no end in sight). I'm also going to add the quote from Corrie Ten Boom on the tea box...do you have a favorite scripture verse I could include? Hope all's well with you and Dave and the girls. God bless you all and thanks for the insight and chuckles and pictures on your blog. I don't check in often, but I sure enjoy it when I do.
Love ya,
Aunt Linda

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP